Record of work among the Lutheran people in
Northwest Ontario began in 1907, although there had been some
worship services conducted in the Waldhof (Gunne) area prior to
1907. Pastors and Missionaries came from various places to
conduct worship services in Waldhof and Eagle River. In the
1931, Pastor Hinricks began work among the
Lutheran people in Dinorwic. Services were held mainly in German
but Ida Realini (nee Besselt) and Eino Hautela were baptized in
an Enlish ceremony in 1931. Due to the lack of manpower and
money after Rev. Hinricks' departure in 1931, all work in the
area was halted. In 1935, Pastor Juettner of Winnipeg began work
in Waldhof and made the occasional visit to Dinorwic.
In the winter of 1938, a
candidate, Arnold Vehling, was sent to the area to live in
Dryden. He entered Canada on December 3, 1938 and settled at the
Dixon Boarding House in Dryden. He was sent just as a missionary
to survey the area and look for prospects. In the spring of 1939
he was called by the Minnesota District to be the first full
time resident Lutheran pastor in the Dryden area. After being
married in 1939, he returned to Dryden to live in a house on the
north side of the track. Worship services were now being
conducted in Dinorwic, Dyment, Vermillon Bay, "Waldof,
Eagle River and in the pastor's home in Dryden.
Church was built with hand-sawn lumber in 1939 an
1940 on land donated by Wm. Bartz on Highway 17. The
congregation officially organize and dedicated its church,
Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, in 1940 with 40 charter
members. Among the early families and builders of the church
were two unrelated Schultz families, the Bartz, Feco ,
Lippert, Besselt, Jeske and
Gergans families. A mixed choir was formed. The
constitution was adopted in 1941. Gus and Lillian Paesel
were the first couple married in the church (below).
Rev. E. P. Roth
was installed in Dinorwic in June, 1942. He held services at
points of worship every second week, also extending to Lutherans
in Quibell and Upper Falls. The
Department of Health granted Rev.Roth and Trinity approval for
the cemetary that still exists on church grounds.. Mrs. Fred
Gergans was the first person to be buried in the church cemetary.
Below is a picture of Pastor Roth's wife that was taken in 2007.
For a time
services were in both German
and English. Dryden and Dyment were also being included
with services, although later Dyment agreed to worship at
Dinorwic. During the Second World War the congregation was
directed to hold its services in English only by local
exception of minor changes, e.g. painting, foundation repairing,
change from wood heat to oil heat, hydro, wall to wall carpet
and cement handicap ramp, the church looks much the same as it
did when built (there is no indoor plumbing).
Because of the
movement of people away from the area, closure of the church was
discussed. However, the Word of God is still proclaimed at
On January 1, 1989, Trinity
Lutheran joined Lutheran Church-Canada, and became a part of the
Today our Church
Services are on Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. and are conducted by Rev.
James Wood. Our congregation is growing again.
Group with Pastor
L-R Alfred Lippert, (? Hauta),
Lil Schultz, Crystl Jeske, (?), Ida Besselt, Walter Hagan,
Pastor Vehling, Dina Schultz, Ruth Jeske, Walter Fecho.
Vehling with church choir
Working on the church,
Marilyn Tilley (Nee Schultz) foreground
Parisioners taken at home being built for Bartz family. The
Christening of several children was celebrated.
seated: front row L-R Linda Schultz, Betty Naumann; 2nd
row Jake Jeske, Crystl Jeske; 3rd row Lilly Schultz, Diana
Schultz, Walter Fecho.
Seated at extreme left:
SigmundSchultz, Arthur Jeske, Ruth Jeske, in front of Ruth
is Armin Jeske, next to Ruth is Martha Naumann, Lydia
Schultz and daughter Martha Schultz, Mrs. Hauta, Seime Hauta
and child, Lillian (Sis) Hicks (Huckell), Margaret Eger (Grouette),
Amanda Schultz (Besselt), Julia Naumann and below her
daughter Charlotte (Rholoff), child Mildred Bartz, Mrs. Emma
Besselt, Mrs. Fecho, Mary Eger (Diem), Elsie Eger, Hilda
Standing at the back, left to right:
Waino Hautala and child, Ferdinand Besselt, unidentified
man, Mr. Kainula, Edward Lippert, George Diem, unidentified
man, John Lippert, Martin Fecho, Pastor(?), Mrs. Hoffman,
child Siegfried Bartz, Max Naumann, unidentified woman, Mr.
Hoffman, Mary Lippert.
Extreme back row: Unidentified man,
Walter Besselt, unidentified man, Henry Besselt, William
Bartz, Fred Besselt.
recent photos welcome.
Fred Parks Via Pastor (will be returned)