BRIEF SUMMARY OF HISTORY
Records show work began among the people of
Northwest Ontario in 1907, although services were conducted in
Waldof (Gunne) prior to that date.
Lutheran pastors belonging to the Ohio and
Missouri Synod held occasional services in homes, also in the
old school, and later in the new school. In
1929 or 1930 the building that had been Hans KelIbergs'
store north of the C.P.R. was purchased.
The following is a list of the pastors that served this area:
— Rev. Wm. Heintzmann
1911-14 — Rev. Paul Walther
1915-17 — Rev. Louis Rosin
1917-17 — Rev. A. Fehner
— Rev. Geo. Grabarkewitz
— Rev. John Woelfle
— Rev. Alex Erthal
1926-29 — Rev. E. F. Schroede
— Rev. O. F. Heinrichs
— Rev. Geo. Juettner
— Rev. Arnold Vehling
First time resident pastor posted in Dryden
serving, Dryden, Dinorwic , Dyment,
Vermilion Bay, and
— Pastor Erhard Roth—
1948-55— Pastor Donovan Bakalyar
From here on
regular service were held.
— Pastor Otto Rueben
— Pastor Fred Reimer
— Pastor Kruger
Pastor Kruger arranged to move the church to Vermilion
Bay in1962. The congregation
reorganized, and the
church became known as
A lot on Hwy.
17 in Vermillion Bay was purchased for $550 ( a gift from LWML)
and the church building was moved. The congregation of 33
members reorganized and the church was named St. Mark.
— Pastor Lawrence Meaunula
Pastor Noel Smith,
is Pastor James Wood a native Drydenite
On January 1, 1989 the congregation joined
Lutheran Church-Canada. Services are held every Sunday at 11:30
a.m.; sharing a pulpit with Our Savior, Dryden and Trinity,
Dinorwic. The summer sees our congregation grow somewhat
due to the tourist industry.
2009 saw the latest round
of renovations to both the interior and exterior of our church.
Pictures and additional
information posted as soon as possible.